Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Checking in!

The inability to post pictures here really has me thrown for a loop.  Still deciding what I want to do about that....

In the meantime, if not for my own sake of "keeping notes" as the kids grow older, I figure I should jot down a few things that are going on in our house this month and hopefully keep all the distance friends/relatives informed, too!

We'll start oldest to youngest.  Ryan is still enjoying kindergarten and got a good first report card (they didn't get "grades" the first quarter so this was his first official assessment).  Their class is allowed to have three parties per year and I have been lucky enough to go into each of them.  Tomorrow is the big "Valentines Day" party and I'm looking forward to going in and helping out again.  I've enjoyed getting to know his friends and teachers this year and am prepared with my "Friendship Memory" game and other goodies! 

Ryan recently started another level of swimming lessons that really concentrates on technique.  I haven't told him this, but I am learning about all these things at the same time he is!  I don't remember half of what he is being taught!  His basketball season is half over.  His team enjoyed their first win (16-14) on Saturday and Ryan got his first team basket!  It was a very special morning and it was so neat to hear the kids so excited about their victory.  One kid said, "This is unbelievable!  We won!  I never actually thought that would happen!".  Well, I can't say I disagree with him...but was so happy to see their elated faces!  Lastly, Ryan moved to elementary choir at church and the group of kids did a great job singing at all the services last Sunday. 

Braden looks forward to his preschool days (Tuesday and Thursday mornings) and enjoys his classmates and teachers.  He had been begging me to teach him how to read.  After just experiencing it with Ryan, I knew how exhausting it could be and I tried not to "rush" into it.  However, after his parent-teacher conference (which was awesome), his teachers encouraged me to give it a try.  Well, what do you know?  He is off to a fabulous start!  He LOVES to read his Bob books and won't let a day slip by without reminding me to let him practice.  Brady recently finished up a basketball class at the local community center.  He is quite the dribbler (if that is a word?).  B still lives and breathes Star Wars and anything and everything related to it....Wii, pods, legos, books, etc. 

Braden also is in a new swimming level and is doing really well!  His teacher came up to me today and was very excited about his relaxed back float.  I am still teaching the preschool choir at church and he loves that I'm in there with him.  He becomes quite the snuggle-buddy after Sunday School!  Right now, he is counting down the days until Valentines Day simply because I organized a fundraiser at a local Fro-Yo place and he can't wait to eat ice cream with his friends!

And last but not least is my "baby"...who is growing like a WEED.  Devin is in the 95 percentile for height and is quickly catching up with his brothers that are only in the 15-20 percentile!  He is only 25 months old and is wearing shoes that Ryan wore when he was 4 years old!

Devin is very musical and loves to sing and perform.  He seeks out opportunities to stand on elevated places (curbs, steps, stools, etc.) so that he can stand and sing his favorite songs.  Barney is still on the top of his list, but he has recently added about 30 other songs to his repertoire.  Additionally, he is really getting into Diego, Curious George and Thomas (pronounced "Pop-us").  His favorite activites are his 1,000-sticker sticker book, Elmo Look and Find books and sorting his colored beads.  He also loves cars!

Devin recently learned how to put on his own shoes.  He is quite the helper around the house and loves to help me with laundry, sweeping, and cooking.  He is still my little trouble-maker and wouldn't think twice about doing a back flip out of a shopping cart, running into the street or helping himself to a gallon of milk.  He is most often seen around town with his "kid leash" since he is very independent but not very trust-worthy...yet!

And that pretty much sums up the kids right now!  :-)

No comments: